I mean, we like, love the bajeezus out of you girls. You know it. We know it. It’s all good. And to show our love, we wanted to share with you the most random, life changing, and fabulous tips & tricks we have discovered over the course of our quirky little lives. Some are serious, some are really really not…but all in all, we hope they make your life way easier, and more fun. These 65 tips and tricks that for girls will hopefully be life-changing.
BTW–Shout out to one of our own girlfriends for sharing with us a darling article skipping around the Internet–the obvious inspiration for our own fantastic list. So go ahead—read that one, and then come back and tell us ours is better.
Just kidding. But we did add 5 tips just for good measure.
Without further ado, our 65 tips and tricks for girls. Enjoy!
1. Think one nice thing about yourself daily.
2. Never overspend on dry shampoo–(and don’t wash your hair every day!)–the Suave brand is fabulous and costs $2.99.
3. Find girlfriends who genuinely laugh at your jokes. Those are the ones who actually get you (and polite laughs are just pity laughs, boooo).
4. Use sunscreen. Tans don’t last anyway and it’s not worth the consequences or the sunspots.
5. “Shoulding yourself” is just as bad for you as what that phrase sounds like when you say it out loud. Gross.
6. Study what you like—you’ll be better qualified when you actually enjoy your work.
7. Try to throw excess hair from the bathroom and the shower in the trash or you will seriously eat away your bathroom plumbing with Draino. Yick.
8. Save money and do your laundry at home, but do it right. Use the gentle cycle, don’t dry most of your clothes, and when you do use the dryer, DEFINITELY clean out the lint trap. Definitely.
9. ALWAYS take your makeup off before bed.
10. Always bring a pair of flip flops in your purse when wearing heels for the night. Your feet and your friends will appreciate it.
11. Establish credit EARLY, and treat your credit card like it’s a debit card (pay it off!!). Oh, and, while you’re at it, take advantage of rewards. (Airfare points==see y’all at da beach.)
12. H&M and Forever 21 are amazing but frustrating. Don’t be discouraged—their sizes are for bite size humans.
13. Target swimsuits also sized for bite size humans. Take a deep breath, grab the larger size, and may the force be with you in that dressing room.
14. Give away clothes you haven’t worn in a year.
15. Take care of your car—oil changes, tire rotations, tune ups. It’ll cost less than buying a new crap car when yours breaks down.
16. Bright lipstick can change an entire night (but be extra sweet to your server because it’s impossible to get off glasses).
17. Find every Reverse Happy Hour in a 5 mile radius. Every. Single. One.
18. Shake hands like you would shake your martini: short, but stroooong.
19. Good music can cure any bad mood or mental block.
20. Rent an apartment that is in your budget. No guests care about granite countertops when you can’t afford to serve wine.
21. Embrace alone time and Netflix marathons.
22. Find an exercise routine that doesn’t make you want to give up on day two. Be consistent with it.
23. Don’t over do it on perfume.
24. Create budgets at every income and limit what you purchase full price. It typically takes 6 weeks for something to go on sale (one definition of maturity is delayed gratification…).
25. Remember that it’s better to be authentic than popular.
26. Date boys who hug your grandma.
27. Accept that comparing is off limits in friendships.
28. You can be a feminist and a romantic at the same time.
29. Love your best friends for exactly who they are, dog birthday parties and all.
30. Show up for the special people in your life. (Go to the dang dog’s birthday party.)
31. Long walks can cure foggy heads.
32. Find a life coach or counselor when times are rough. They know what they’re doing and your friends probably…don’t.
33. Express your needs to others freely and without shame. You are not needy, you are confident in your feelings.
34. Always keep a stash of Advil, Zyrtec, Tylonel, and Mucinex.
35. Don’t text at work or school. You’ll get way more out of osmosis or being present than you think.
36. Social Media is not a diary—it’s a window into your life.
37. ALWAYS have a pair of sweatpants handy (preferably 2 sizes too big).
38. Being respectful is never out of style (but entitlement is so 90’s).
39. Rejection develops maturity—you will be better for it.
40. Limit your skin makeup and focus on your eyes–a cake face is never ideal.
41. Driving a nice car or carrying a designer bag doesn’t matter now—give yourself something to look forward to, girl.
42. Make sure you love your bedroom. It will always be your your sanctuary.
43. Always get ready to music in the bathroom. It distracts you from the sweltering heat and eases your frustration with random mascara dots that always freakin’ get on your eye lids.
44. Your parents are real people who make real mistakes. Try to forgive them as much as they forgive you (which was probably a lot you troublemaker!)
45. Look people in the eye, but don’t aim for both eyes, or else you will inevitably cross your own.
46. Music Festivals are super sloppy. Prepare with sanitizer, lots of deodorant, and shoes you WILL throw away.
47. Retail and Service Industry jobs strengthen your character, your bank account, and your skin (it makes it thick…get it?).
48. Write thank-you notes.
49. Dates are for two people only. Anything else doesn’t count—a “group date” is seriously an oxymoron and the guy who considers it to be legit is an actual moron.
50. Put silverware handles down in the dishwasher. Your spoons will be cleaner, but be careful taking out the knives!
51. Speaking your worth is NOT bragging or expressing vanity.
52. Bad hair days can always be cured with a messy bun.
53. Get at least 8-10 hours of sleep per night, because everything is better with a good amount of sleep.
54. Binge diets kill your metabolism AND your social life in one fail swoop. Plus your dream guy loves your body as is.
55. A good work ethic will get you further than any raw intelligence.
56. Spanx ride up no matter what you do, so find clothes that you’re comfortable in without them.
57. Color chalk your hair before dying it pink. Or purple. Or blue.
58. Clean your sheets once a week.
60. Prioritize the makeup M’s: Moisturizer & Mascara.
61. Set your own values—you do not have to agree with everything your family believes.
62. On a windy day, it’s best not to wear skirts made out of thin material. It’ll be all Marilyn Monroe in a not so glam way.
63. Let go of relationships that aren’t making you happy–even if they aren’t romantic in nature.
64. Let go of grudges, they cause wrinkles (yep).
65. Remember, above all else, you always have Blush.